Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Victoria's Farmhouse ~ Bed (part one)

I hope everyone had a great Valentines day! 

I found a really pretty bed for Victoria's Farmhouse.  The only thing that I didn't like was the bedspread that was on the bed when I bought it.

Not that it is a bad color or pattern....I just wanted something a little bit more rich in color.  Something that would stand out a little better.  So, I started to look at how to take it off.   By looking under the bed, it was glued to the bracing boards.  I worked gently all the way around until I could lift the board from the wood. If you are going to try this be real gentle so not to break the wood frame. 
As you can see from the picture above, there was some cardboard left on the wood from the glue that was used to hold the mattress in place.  There is not much you can do to take it off either.  The other no one will see it once you replace the mattress. 
Then, I flipped the mattress over and pulled the fabric from the board.   There are three parts to the doll mattress.  The fabric, foam, board.    The only thing that I'm replacing is the fabric.  There is a pillow for the bed it is a large piece of fabric covering a long piece of foam.  I'm going to re wrap a piece of fabric around the pillow that will match the new bedspread.
So, here is the fabric completely removed from the mattress.  I'm sure many of you have done the same thing I have done to this bed.  I will be posting part 2 later today. 

I would love to hear if you have done this to your dollhouse bed.  How did it turn out? Would you do it again?  Drop me a line in the comments section below.  

Love
MMM

4 comments:

  1. I usually always redo commercial pieces of furniture and I've never had one turn out bad. I find that the fabric is often out of scale or the wrong color or the finish is too shiney or too dark..or light. I buy the piece if the shape is right and that's about all. I'll even buy one of it is damged in some way because I can always repair it in some way for my purposes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so right! The fabric on commerical pieces are never what I want, or if it is....then it way out of my price range...LOL! It looks pretty straight forward on re doing this bed. I really like buying a damaged pieces. They have been fun repairing and then using them. Thank you! I love hearing from you Tabitha! Hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I redressed a bed once too.....you can see it here http://tinyurl.com/673hwov (it's in Dutch, but the pictures say it all!)
    It totaly fell apart when I tried to remove the fabric, but I was able to glue it all back together LOL I love changing bought furniture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margriet, I love your bed. The after is really pretty. The before is nice too! You did a really great job! I'm starting to like changing furniture too! Thank you!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete