Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blinds for Victoria's Farmhouse

Today, I wanted to make window treatments for the windows of Victoria's Farmhouse.  I thought maybe curtins....then I thought about blinds.   I gathered some things together to see what I could make.


I used medium weight tracing paper. I know you can also use vellum.  I couldn't find any at my local hobby store.  A window from the Victoria's Farmhouse, Nail Art, and Skinny Craft Sticks.  Also, used Aleene's Tacky Glue. 
I traced around the window and doubled the lengh of the it.  By the time you fold it back and forth it will be the same size of your window.  When folding your blind make sure to try to fold it small enough to match a real blind.  As you get to the end of folding it will try to go a little lopsided.  Just try to hold it straight.
It is surprising how much spring the tracing paper has.  When finished folding, you can measure it to your window to make sure you like the fit.  This way you can make any adjustments that are needed before you move on.
Here is the nail art sticker I choose for the blinds.  I know, that they don't stand out.  I used themon the blind here and there.  Kind of spread out.  It is really up to you.  You can also use a gold paint pen or any other colors you would like. 

This is what it looks like with the nail art is added.  

Don't worry about the blind looking smaller then the window.  It will work!  Now, to place the wood at the top and bottom.
I added two pieces of wood to the top and bottom of the blind.  The top for support of the blind and the bottom to pull down the blind with weight.  The skinny craft sticks seem to work pretty well.  You can paint them or cover with small ribbon.
Here is a view of the blind behind the window.  I will try to get a better picture once I get the blind in place. 
With the light behind the blind.  There are so many things you can do with your blinds.  You could use them behind the fabric curtains.  Or you could make really pretty blinds with scrapbook paper.

Tell me what you think.  Do you like the effect?  Or you may have some ideas on how to decorate your blind.  Thank you for looking!

Love
MMM

6 comments:

  1. Thank you,Victoria! It was really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm a little behind with my blogs... Your pleated shades are VERY clever, They look quite nice mounted in the windows. I know I have seen slatted blinds in mini but I don't think I've seen anything quite like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Susan! How have you been? I thought I would try my hand and something a little different...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific. Love your pleated shades. Just bumped into your blog while looking for something else related to Victoria's farmhouse. I'm building one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!They are fun to make too! You can use any type of paper or scapebook paper. Your going to have a great time with Victoria's Farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete